Life is short, drink better wine.
What the Critics Have to Say
- “Mike Beneduce of Beneduce Vineyards also in Pittstown/NJ has just put his first wines on the market, although the best of them – the rather oaky, but fresh and peppery 2012 Blueprint Blaufränkisch – isn’t quite out there yet. However, it will be the 2013 whites, which we tasted from tank and barrel, that are going to make his reputation. Of these the most important for me is the dry 2013 Estate Riesling, the first wine of this kind from Jersey which completely convinced me. It is quite powerful and complex with a certain amount of spice, and that’s perhaps why Mike compares it with Alsace. Frankly, though I think it’s closer to the Riesling GGs from Germany. The medium-dry 2012 Three Windows Riesling made part from estate fruit and part from Finger Lakes fruit is a juicy and polished wine with pear and citrus aromas for just $16. Jersey has a Riesling star in the making and the only question is if anyone in NYWC or America’s mainstream wine media really cares about that.”-
Stuart Pigott, International Wine Critic, Riesling Global
- “I recently had the opportunity to spend some time with Mike Beneduce Jr., the winemaker and viticulturist. His philosophy of matching the varietals to the vineyard site was refreshing (and commercially risky) as the goal was clearly what the terroir will best express, not necessarily what grape varietals are most popular… Highlights of the portfolio included the Chardonnay, which is made in the classic Burgundian style—barrel fermented, aged on the lees in 60 percent new oak. It has lovey acidity and elegance and is beautifully balanced, with the oak offering a complement to the bright tropical and citrus fruit. The White Pinot Noir, called Tuxedo, is beautifully balanced and complex while exhibiting crisp acidity. This is a versatile wine you can enjoy with fish or lighter meats.
The reds had nice depth of flavor and balance with great intensity. The Blueprint, which is estate-grown Blaufrankisch, was unique. A cool-climate red with great mineral and spice notes and generous earthy blueberry flavors, this wine really had the most terroir or site expression.”-
George Staikos, wine writer and educator, NJ Monthly Magazine
2012 ‘Three Windows White’ Riesling Gold Medal – 2014 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition Gold Medal – 2014 East Meets West Wine Challenge
2012 ‘Barrel Fermented’ Chardonnay Gold Medal – 2014 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition
- “One of New Jersey’s newer wineries, Beneduce Vineyards, has ten acres of vines and produces some of the best Cabernet Francs, Pinot Noirs and Rieslings this side of the Atlantic. Their 2012 Pinot Noir, aptly named Centerfold, and whose bottled is emblazoned with a set of dark red lips is medium bodied with hints of raspberry, lush tones, and to pull out a snobby wine term ‘velvety smooth’ with a nice finish. Any fan of Pinot Noir will love this wine and the effort put into the production. Do I like this wine? I drive forty five minutes to get to the winery if that gives you any indication.”-
Scott Baldwin, wine writer, The Wineosaur
- “The five wines available to us were each impressive in their own right. The 2012 Chardonnay fermented on the lees in 60% new oak carried lively citrus notes too often stifled by winemakers looking to achieve the buttery oak flavor that has become the standard expectation of the varietal. Rather than live up to expectations, the winemakers at Beneduce found a unique balance of oak and fruit that produces a refreshingly lightweight, well structured Chardonnay. …Thankfully, the folks at Beneduce are breaking new ground in the Jersey wine world by introducing one of the most refreshingly brilliant Rieslings in the state. Three Windows White is everything a Riesling should be – crisp, bright, with just a touch of sweetness. It is so aromatic that you feel you’re drinking it in with one whiff…Hidden among the houses and farms of north Jersey, Beneduce Vineyards is the next big thing in Jersey wine.”-
Susan Goldberg, travel writer, PJ Lifestyle
- "For such a young winery, the wines were very well done, with nice balance and complexity, all across the board along a range of styles. Very, very nicely done."
Carlo DeVito, wine critic and author